There are many things that can be added to soap. Most are really helpful, like Cocoa Butter, some are absolutely useless, many are fads and will be dumped by the wayside and some carry an element of danger. It’s the latter one I am calling your attention to, the element of danger.
In doing a routine search through Google, soap containing silver had many listings. In a nutshell, using soap containing silver, will, over time, give you that Smurf coloring to your skin. Its a blue gray color and is permanent! Colloidal silver is the culprit and the condition is argyria.
The silver builds up In your bodies tissues over time, in your skin, eyes, nails and internal organs. Let me say again, It is permanent.
People who manufacture soap and other products utilizing colloidal silver make unproven health claims. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.
They often claim their products are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis. No sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that colloidal silver isn’t safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
What Science Says About the Safety and Side Effects of Colloidal Silver
• Colloidal silver can cause serious side effects. The most common is argyria, a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, which is usually permanent.
• Colloidal silver can also cause poor absorption of some drugs, such as certain antibiotics and thyroxine (used to treat thyroid deficiency).
• The FDA also warned in 1999 that colloidal silver isn’t safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
• The FDA and the Federal Trade Commission have taken action against a number of companies for making misleading claims about colloidal silver products.
• Don’t fall for false advertising. Colloidal Silver has absolutely NO place in handmade soap and will pose a danger to you and yours!